Carbon Monoxide Awareness
Suspect a natural gas leak?
And Southwest Gas immediately at
whether you're our customer or not.
Si usted sospecha una
fuga de gas natural,
llame al 911
Y a Southwest gas al
Inmediato, si usted es nuestro cliente o no.
Natural gas appliances are very safe. However, like all appliances, if natural gas appliances aren’t properly maintained or are malfunctioning, they can be dangerous. One of those dangers is exposure to carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel, including natural gas. It's a poisonous, odorless and colorless gas that can be fatal. Any suspected carbon monoxide exposure is an emergency.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
If you suspect carbon monoxide, follow these safety tips:
- Leave the premises and get into fresh air immediately.
- Call 911 or your local emergency number as soon as possible to get medical attention.
- Don’t re-enter the building until an emergency official has determined the building to be safe and you have been given permission to do so.
Prevent carbon monoxide emergencies
Have your natural gas appliances serviced
Southwest Gas recommends that you have your natural gas appliances serviced annually by a trained professional. In addition to keeping your appliances operating at optimal efficiency for energy conservation, this is one of the best ways to prevent carbon monoxide emergencies. For a list of qualified plumbers, contractors or appliance dealers, click here, search online or call the Southwest Gas Energy Specialists at 1-800-654-2765.
Carbon monoxide detectors
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that consumers install carbon monoxide detectors. They also advise that a carbon monoxide alarm can provide some added protection, but it’s no substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce carbon monoxide. Additional information can be found on their website at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/466.html.
Southwest Gas does not inspect for the absence of carbon monoxide detectors, their placement, nor do we install or service these detectors.
Special note for California residents: Effective July 1, 2011, California Health and Safety Code §17926 requires all new and existing single-family dwellings with a fossil fuel burning appliance, fireplace, or attached garage to have an approved and functioning carbon monoxide alarm(s). All other residential units must have carbon monoxide alarms by January 1, 2013. More about this law and other laws concerning carbon monoxide alarms can be found in Senate Bill 183, which includes the California Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010. Southwest Gas encourages customers to adhere to California’s legal requirements.