Leak Recognition and Response
Suspect a natural gas leak?
And Southwest Gas immediately at
whether you're our customer or not.
Si usted sospecha una
fuga de gas natural,
llame al 911
Y a Southwest gas al
Inmediato, si usted es nuestro cliente o no.
Whether you have natural gas at your home or business or not, you need to know the following:
How to recognize a natural gas leak
- SMELL an odor similar to rotten eggs, even if it’s faint or momentary.
- HEAR an unusual hissing or roaring sound coming from the ground or an above-ground pipeline.
- SEE dirt or water blowing into the air, discolored vegetation surrounding a pipeline, or standing water continuously bubbling.
What to do if you suspect a leak
- Leave the area immediately.
- From a safe place, call 911 and Southwest Gas at 1-877-860-6020, day or night. A Southwest Gas representative will be there as soon as possible.
- Don't smoke or use matches or lighters.
- Don't turn on or off any electric switches, thermostats, or appliance controls or use automated doors.
- Don't start or stop an engine.
Call 811 before you dig
- One call to 811 gets underground utility-owned lines marked for free.
- Whether you’re a homeowner or professional excavator, every digging job requires a call - even small projects.